How To Choose A Flash Column?
1) Compared with atmospheric pressure chromatography, the separation efficiency is higher;
2) Natural traditional advantages in protein purification;
3) It is more economical than high-pressure preparative chromatography, the instrument requires less configuration, and the user can install the column by himself;
4) The use of pre-packed columns can increase the rate and save time and manpower;
5) It has a direct relationship with TLC. Using TLC can quickly establish a separation method;
6) More solvent saving than traditional column method;
7) Samples that are not easily separated by conventional manual column passing can be achieved by the column passing machine.
So how do you choose a FLASH column?
Compared with the traditional column method, the FLASH column is fast and easy to operate. Convenience is mainly reflected in two aspects, one is the user-friendliness and the other is the efficiency of separation and purification.
1) User-friendliness: First, check the hardware facilities of the FLASH column; second, the software operation experience; whether the entire process design is reasonable, including whether the software operation is smooth and whether it is convenient to check the experimental progress, record the experiment and so on.
2) In terms of separation and purification efficiency, in general, the efficiency of the FLASH column is definitely much higher than that of the manual column.
In terms of separation time, it is generally passed by machine, and a sample is good for half an hour, but it may take several hours or even 1 day by manual; In addition, in terms of the separation effect, some samples, such as two points on a TLC board, are close to each other and cannot be separated manually, and can be separated by a machine, which also virtually improves the experimental efficiency.
2. Cost of ownership
In addition to the initial hardware and software investment, a more scientific way of measuring is to measure the cost of ownership throughout its life cycle from purchase to retirement. Besides the initial hardware and software investment, it also includes several major parts such as consumables, operator training, operating time, maintenance costs, and downtime. This is mainly determined by three aspects:
1) The convenience of operation determines the training time and operation time. In simple terms, it is whether the FLASH column is easy to get started, and this returns to the operation experience mentioned at the beginning;
2) Whether the consumables can be effectively saved determines the consumption cost. Whether an instrument can save consumables depends on whether it can save solvents and extend the life of the column.
Compared with the traditional glass column, a big advantage of the FLASH column is that it can save more solvents. This is also an important factor in measuring an instrument. Therefore, when understanding or trying an instrument, this must also be considered.
3) The after-sales service determines the maintenance cost and downtime of the instrument. If a problem occurs with the instrument, the user can get a faster response and the instrument can return to normal faster, then we say that the lower the user’s cost of use, the higher the cost. This aspect depends on whether the company’s own after-sales system is complete, including after-sales technical guidance, after-sales response speed, and after-sales service attitude.
3. Necessary function
For example, is it possible to use it to separate products that are difficult to separate by hand, such as whether there is a collection system, a detection system, etc., all of this should be considered according to your actual needs?
HAWACH specialized in manufacturing FLASH, HPLC and SPE columns that can meet the above requirement. Welcome to contact HAWACH to learn more.